Sunday, April 19, 2009

Nursery University. . .

I recently heard about a documentary entitled Nursery University about the crazy and competitive process of enrolling a child in preschool in New York City, an ordeal exacerbated by the post- 9/11 baby boom.

When I first heard of the premise of the film, I spent a good hour trying to download a trailer of it, certain that I would see a parent or school I knew from my time living in New York City and working in two preschools there. Sure enough, I saw two shots of the first teacher I worked for. Also named Sarah, she was a burnt-out and flighty hippie who filled my closet with patchwork skirts and guazy blouses that no longer fit her. When I joined her class, she became Big Sarah and I became Little Sara and she was a wonderful person to have as a mentor.

I don't know if I would have found the trailer so amusing if I was not thousands of miles away from any place where this situation could possibly exist, but I laughed with tears running down my cheeks. And thankful to be here where the pressure and anxiety in this field is not nearly so high.

Check it out the website, go see the movie for me, and keep your eyes and ears open for the DVD.

www.nurseryuniversitythemovie.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aESkMeVksvs

1 comment:

jornywar said...

Sarah, I hope you plan to publish these blogs someday. You are a terrific writer....Raya Warner