These are bonobos, one of the four great apes (quick: name the other three!)* and our closest genetic relations. Found exclusively in the Congo, they are very in danger of extinction. Bonobos are sold in the local markets as pets and the folks at this reserve buy them and bring them to their new home. All 50 adults were acquired this way, and 12 babies have been born on the reserve.
In this matriarchal society, conflict is solved through sex, and the bonobo range of sexual activity includes kissing, oral sex, masturbation... really you should just google bonobo and sexual behavior for the complete scoop.
This posting does not contain any ape porn, but I hope you like the remarkably human expressions.
*orangutang, gorilla, chimpanzee
2 comments:
I never realized that the Bonobos where there own distinct branch of great ape. I thought they were just a regional variety of chimp. Very interesting. Looking forward to the inside scoop on DRC.
Just in case you were wondering, one of the few things I remember from my sociology class called, "Politics of Reproduction" is that bonobos are also the only animals besides humans who have sex facing one another. Thoughts?
Post a Comment