Tuesday, February 8, 2011

French Screw Ups, Part I

The usefulness of my French is situational. I am able to ask a tailor to make a cap-sleeved wraparound dress with pockets and a snap closure, but I routinely fail at planning my veggie patch with the campus gardener. I care a lot more about vegetables than fashion, but some words just stick better in my mind. For example, I was at an utter loss while explaining to Rattinger's caretaker that he needed a swimsuit every Monday for P.E. The conversation went something like...

Me: Rattinger is needs something.

Confused Caretaker (CC): ?

Me: Something...for....for...for...snowing!

CC: Snowing?!

Me: Dammnit! Not snowing! A thing for .... school.... See every Monday we put the children under water.

CC: Water?

Me: Yes, of course. Under a lot of water. We put them in a box. A box of water.

CC: To clean them?

Me: No, for the exercises them.

CC: Swimming?

Me: Yes, of course! He needs to bring a thing a thing like clothes for swimming! And a....thing like a napkin to...remove the water...after.

So the following Monday, Rattinger arrives with a towel and an extra pair of underwear, camouflage patterned, with "Little Guy" written across the front.

1 comment:

Plopfz said...

I want to see the French too..(with subtitles of course) J'ai desire (voulez?) voyer les mot aussi en francez, n'est ce pas?(grande sourir)