Friday Morning Score:
Congo: 1
Teacher: 0
After a blissful week of reading and loving Kinderclassic, Mrs. Wishy-Washy, I decided that Friday morning we would make our own lovely mud to go along with our final reading of the week of this tale of animals romping in the mud and scrubbed in the tub by the illustrious Mrs. Wishy-Washy before-you guessed it-bolting straight back to the mud again. Why make mud? The initial reason was fun but I knew there had to be a sounder pedagogical reason other than my love of dirt and water.
Here's what I came up with:
1. Sensorimotor Experience
2. Scientific Inquiry (What the heck is mud? How is it different than wet sand? Why do the roads in Kinshasa wash away in the rainy season?)
3. Become more familiar with the Botanical Gardens (Our campus has gorgeous botanical gardens which we are obligated to incorporate into classroom curriculum. What better source for our mud dirt than the botanical garden? None I should say!)
But Congo beat us to the mud-making when the rainy season began 4 weeks earlier than normal but mere hours after many locals had been predicting for some time. What do you do when the dirt you wanted to make into mud has already turned to mud and the gardens are squishy and swampy? Put on your game face, lay down a parachute to sit on and break out your fancy bag of loam soil. The campus gardeners crowded around our mud-making with bewildered interest. If furrowed brows could talk: Does this Mundele not realize that we have plenty of mud already? If tilted nods could reply: "Mundeles do not think our mud is good enough. They like their mud made of imported loam."
I could have dumped our mud after our jolly experiments but I thought I might as well bring it back to the classroom as an option during Free Play. I carefully ladled the mud into trays, but it nonetheless ended up on every available human and classroom surface. No sweat, says I, mud washes away with water.
Armed with paper towels and soap, buckets and a mop, we slip-slided our way to the sink. No water. For the next 12 hours.
Friday Afternoon Score:
Congo: 2
Teacher: 0
Tuesday, September 20, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Maybe you could work in Van der Walls forces and hydrophillic vs hydrophobic substances, and how soap bridges the gap between water and hydrophobic substances. Not to be confused the the hydrophobia that accompanies rabies.
Post a Comment